Western martial arts are often overlooked in favor of Asian martial arts. There is however a rich history of weapons and unarmed combat training and methods that trace back to ancient Western civilizations. Modern boxing, fencing, and even wrestling have roots in older martial forms. Western or "Occidental" describes cultures stemming from the Greco-Roman, Celtic and Germanic traditions, and the lands those cultures historically dominated. Typically, this would include Europe and the Americas. A marked difference between Oriental and Occidental martial arts is the general Occidental mind set in terms of the time to train and learn new martial skills. The Occidental instructor's mind set appears very different from those of the Oriental instructor's mindset, in that the Occidental instructor is not concerned with deep ritual or ceremony that are often, an integral part of the Oriental martial arts. Western Martial Arts Sports.
- Western world The Western world refers to various nations depending on the context, most often including at...
- Western blot A widely used analytical technique used in molecular biology, immunogenetics and other molecular...
- Western (genre) A genre of various arts which tell stories set primarily in the later half of the 19th century in...
- West West is one of the four cardinal directions or points of the compass.
- Western, Nebraska A village in Saline County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 235 at the 2010 census.
- Western (1997 film) A 1997 road movie directed by Manuel Poirier.
- The Western A hotel and casino in downtown Las Vegas, Nevada.
- University of Western Ontario A public research university in London, Ontario, Canada.
- Western A.F.C. Western A.F.C. is a semi-professional association football club in Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Western (airline) An American low-cost airline headquartered in Bellingham, Washington, and operated from a hub at...
- Matt Western A British Labour Party politician who has been the Member of Parliament for Warwick & Leamington...
- Journal of Western Martial Arts www
An online journal providing a collection of papers, Western Martial Arts, articles, submissions and periodicals that pertain to western martial arts. This journal covers historical martial arts including, but not limited to medieval, Renaissance and classical martial arts.
- A Bartitsu Forum www
A Yahoo Group forum for the study of E. Forum.W. Barton-Wright's Victorian martial art. Bartitsu Forum.
- Resource The Company of Maisters www
Resource to the English arts and the Science of Defense. Company of Maisters. Information and instruction in weaponry, unarmed defense, and related historical details. The Company of Maisters.
- HEMA Historical European Martial Arts www
HEMA collects and distributes useful information for those researching authentic martial arts and fighting systems of medieval and Renaissance Europe. Historical European Martial Arts.
- This Shillelagh Irish Stick-fighting www
This site posts a series of articles about the history of Irish martial arts, Irish Stick-fighting, with an emphasis on the Shillelagh, Irish Faction Fighting and the arts of Irish stick-fighting. Shillelagh Irish Stick-fighting.
- The International Field Archery Association www
The IFAA is an amateur sports association founded in 1968 that represents field archers all over the world. Field Archery Association. Includes rules and regulations concerning targets, scoring and bow styles. International Field Archery Association.
- An Society of Archer-Antiquaries www
An International group formed in 1956 to study the development of the archery bow from the earliest times. Archer-Antiquaries. Includes journals, history and a member's forum. Society of Archer-Antiquaries.
- A Mike Liem's Martial Arts Resources www
A series of articles on classical fencing and comparisons with other martial arts. Mike Liem's Martial Arts Resources.
- An Classical Fencing Mailing List www
An email list (listserv) for discussing classical fencing and historical swordsmanship, Fencing Mailing List, including foil, épée, sabre, smallsword, rapier, and rapier and dagger. Classical Fencing Mailing List.
- Society SCA Equestrian Marshal www
Society for Creative Anachronism's resources for jousting and other mounted combat. Equestrian Marshal. Includes rules, handbooks, and regional contacts. SCA Equestrian Marshal.
- An International Jousting League www
An international jousting and re-enactment community made up of five divisions and sixteen nations. International Jousting League.
- Photographs Ultimate Kickboxing Techniques www
Photographs and descriptions of various kickboxing techniques. Ultimate Kickboxing Techniques.
- Information Finney's Championship Kickboxing www
Information on kickboxing, Championship Kickboxing, boxing, ground fighting and women's self defense. Includes fighters, events, news, store, contact details and links. Finney's Championship Kickboxing.
- Includes Fencing.Net www
Includes club listings, Fencing.Net, training drills (footwork and blade work), and general information about the sport of fencing. Fencing.Net.
- Offers The Fencing Forum www
Offers a range of forums related to fencing. The Fencing Forum.
- Focuses Association of Renaissance Martial Arts www
Focuses on the interpretation and reconstruction of Medieval and Renaissance combat systems as a modern discipline. Renaissance Martial Arts. Includes articles, forum, and research material. Association of Renaissance Martial Arts.
- Provides Dragon Preservation Society www
Provides information and artwork related to traditional Western Martial Arts. Dragon Preservation Society.
- Alexa: Western Martial Arts
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Western Martial Arts
- DMOZ: Western Martial Arts
dmoz.org Directory: Western Martial Arts