Grappling is a generic term to describe combat in very close quarters or on the ground, with or without strikes. The goal of a grappler is to make an opponent submit, or give up. This is usually achieved by means of joint locks, compressions, and chokes. If the opponent doesn't give up once a submission move has "sunk in," they will quickly become incapacitated, either because they are unconscious or have a broken limb. All moves when done with correct form should rely mainly on leverage, and not brute strength-- although strength does help. One often-used technique in grappling is tiring the opponent by making them work as hard as possible, without one's self becoming too tired. Grappling Martial Arts Sports.
Grappling refers to techniques, maneuvers, and counters applied to an opponent in order to gain a physical advantage, such as improving relative position, escaping, submitting, or injury to the opponent. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: In hand-to-hand combat, grappling is a close fighting technique used to gain a physical advantage such as improving relative position, or causing injury to the opponent. Grappling covers techniques used in many disciplines, styles and martial arts that are practiced both as combat sports and for self-defense.
- Grappling Category
- Clinch fighting - Clinch fighting is the part of stand-up fighting where the combatants are grappling in a clinch, typically using clinch holds. Clinching the opponent can be used to eliminate the opponent's effective usage of some kicks, punches, and m l e weapons.
- Combatives - Combatives is a term for hand-to-hand combat training and techniques.
- Grappling hold - A grappling hold is a specific grappling, wrestling, judo or other martial arts grip that is applied to an opponent. Holds are principally used to control the opponent, and to advance in points or positioning.
- Grappling position - A grappling position refers to the positioning and holds of combatants engaged in grappling. Combatants are said to be in a neutral position if neither is in a more favourable position. If one party has a clear advantage such as in the mount they are said to be in a "dominant position".
- Ground fighting - Ground fighting is hand-to-hand combat or wrestling which takes place while the combatants are on the ground, generally involving grappling.
- Submission wrestling - Submission wrestling or combat wrestling, is a form of competition and a general term for martial arts and combat sports that focus on clinch and ground fighting with the aim of obtaining a submission through the use of submission holds.
- Mixed martial arts styles
- Martial art techniques
- Combat sports
- A BJJ Grappling www
A website dedicated to Jiu Jitsu grappling experiences, Grappling, analysis, opinions, and training logs. BJJ Grappling.
- The Grappling Core www
The latest and most relevant grappling videos, Core, images, and news. Grappling Core.
- A IGrapple.org www
A social network for grapplers of all sorts to share information and techniques. IGrapple.org.
- The North American Grappling Association www
The largest north american grappling tournament association holding events across the United States. North American Grappling Association.
- Online Grappling Store www
Online store for grappling equipment with daily product deals. Grappling Store.
- The Aiki-Jitsu of Tahlequah www
The SDS Aiki-Jitsu Dojo located in Tahlequah, Tahlequah, Oklahoma. Aiki-Jitsu of Tahlequah.
- Teaching Wind-Storm School of the Classical Samurai Warrior Arts www
Teaching the Kaze Arashi Ryu system which incorporates Aiki Ju Jutsu, School of the Classical Samurai Warrior Arts, Ken Jutsu, Jo Jutsu and Tessen Jutsu. History of styles, dojo schedule, seminars, videos and links. Based in Liverpool. Wind-Storm School of the Classical Samurai Warrior Arts.
- History Submission Judo Archives www
History of Judo and how it fathered Sambo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo Archives, plus origins of Atemi Waza. Submission Judo Archives.
- Judo Judo Portal-Takis Vakatasis www
Judo in Greece. Portal-Takis Vakatasis. Includes videos, photos, techniques, forums, statistics and results. Judo Portal-Takis Vakatasis.
- Chat, Katabami Jujitsu International Forum www
Chat, Jujitsu International Forum, photographs, members, calendar and links. Katabami Jujitsu International Forum.
- Teaching Aiki Shin Jitsu Self Defense System www
Teaching a combination of Aikido, Shin Jitsu Self Defense System, Jujitsu, combat Jujitsu, Shotokan, Vee Jitsu, Judo, Iaido, Taekwondo and other disciplines. Lists terminology, supplies, links and style information. Aiki Shin Jitsu Self Defense System.
- Official International Kurash Association www
Official site which provides its history, Kurash Association, winners, news items, directing committee, and rules. International Kurash Association.
- World Online Magazine of International Pakration www
World news resource. Online Magazine of International Pakration.
- An World Pankration Federation www
An international governing body that works with other organizations to promote Pankration in the Olympic Games. Pankration Federation. Includes message from the President, news, rules, and events. World Pankration Federation.
- The Wikipedia www
The article gives a review on the history, Wikipedia, tournament and the traditions of the sport. Wikipedia.
- Pictures Female Single Combat Club www
Pictures and explanation of the Swiss folk wrestling. Female Single Combat Club.
- Alexa: Grappling Martial Arts
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Grappling Martial Arts
- DMOZ: Grappling Martial Arts
dmoz.org Directory: Grappling Martial Arts